The creation of children’s books are a merger of labor, creativity and love. Concepts, characters, dialog and pacing are blended carefully by the author.Too much of one ingredient leads to a less the wonderful manuscript. When starting a children’s book, the words may flow smoothly. It would be easy to assume that one read through and a gentle edit are all that is needed for this piece to be ready to be seen by agent or publisher. Stop! Go through the following steps:
- Read each word.
- Kill any parts that are wordy.
- Have your writers’ group review it.
- Read it to a child without telling them that you are the author. Listen to their reactions and feedback.
- Leave it alone for a few days or a couple of weeks.
- Compare it to other picture books.
- Read it again and be sure that you have left some details for the illustrator to fill in.
- Research the market~Who are the best publishers for this manuscript?
- Prepare for submission.Follow the publishers’ or agents guidelines. Understand that not all of them will respond in a timely manner and realize that some may not respond at all.
If a children’s book is begging you to bring it into creation, please do so. There are concepts, characters,dialog and plots that only you can blend .