Frankenstein, Dracula and the Mummy meet for drinks at a bar~ Just kidding! This post is on the topic of paranormal fiction. This form of literature is defined as a story containing a relationship between people and the supernatural (vampires, shape shifters, ghosts, angels, demons, grim reaper, etc.). Unless you’ve been in a coma on the space shuttle for the last ten years, you’ve experienced the Twilight phenomenal. I know some of you were Team Edward.
The undead have sunk their fangs into nearly every form of literature from young adult, mystery, romance to reimaging of the classics (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies). Paranormal books have proved to have versatility and stainability. Feel the urge to write about a vampire in love with a baker or guardian angel who falls in love with his charge? Or perhaps your main character is boxer who occasionally devours a soul to survive. Go for it!
Here tips to help you shape that sexy, steamy, creepy masterpiece :
- Write a bio for each character.
- What is your supernatural hero’s backstory? Are they fully aware of their past or will the search for their origin be a part of the story?
- What does each of the characters want?
- What stands in their way?
- How does the human (humans ) in their life react to the supernatural character’s unusual abilities/ appearance?
- Does the main character’s power/curse or gift positively impact the love interest or sidekick? Does it ever put them in danger? If so, how?
- Don’t rely on the supernatural elements alone to carry the plot.
Now that you have been given a cauldron full of tips go write!